July 8, 2009

The "Girly" Sports fan is born!

I will never forget it. I was 3 years old and experiencing my first ever Phillies game. The old Veteran's Stadium or "The Vet" as most Philadelphians called it, was this massive hole with yellow and orange seats and neon green flooring in the middle. I chowed down on a Hatfield hot dog and slurped in some vanilla soft serve in a tiny Phillies batting helmet, as I sat in between my mom and dad. Our seats, located behind home plate, made for a perfect view of the entire field. Then I saw him. Michael Jack Schmidt. It was love at first sight. Thus, another Philly sports fan was born.

One thing that I do almost every day is read about sports. I love sports; but, my favorite sport to read about, watch, and follow is baseball. If I don’t read it in the newspaper or watch it on TV, I read about online articles. It's not very common for a chick to be following Philadelphia professional sports the way I do.

The thing is – I like being a girl. In fact, I am probably one of the girliest girls around. My favorite color is pink. I have been taking dance classes since I was three years old, not to mention participated in cheerleading for six years. I like to be organized and I love to cook. I love fashion and dressing up. I like to watch Sex and the City and Dancing with the Stars. I love guys, I just don’t want to act like one to be taken seriously as a sports writer.

One thing I noticed is that there are little to no female sportswriters. Sure, you have Leslie Gudel on Comcast SportsNet and Jade McCarthy on NBC, but as far as a woman, writing about a man’s sport, such as baseball, are hard to come by. Upon graduating from college, I applied to several different sports writing positions, had great interviews where the editor was impressed with my vast knowledge of the sports world. But, I was never hired for a single position. Maybe I wasn’t qualified…but maybe the qualification I was missing a Y chromosome.

Therefore, I am developing this blog for the simplistic reason that a girl like me can be knowledgeable about sports. Who knows...maybe I will teach a few guys a thing or two!

No comments: